Monday, December 1, 2008

When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris

Sometimes I finish a book long before I am ready to say goodbye to its characters. When this happens, it’s difficult to start a new book. I’ll have Dracula infiltrating the home of Marley and Me or something equally nonsensical, and I just end up confused and irritated. That’s when I find myself reading People magazine or The Express, like a little commercial break between TV shows. Sometimes, even that doesn’t work, so I will read short stories or, preferably, anything by David Sedaris.
When You Are Engulfed in Flames contains some great essays by the always-funny Sedaris, and I enjoyed it as I invariably enjoy his work. His sarcasm and quirky outlook almost repeatedly ensure an easy, enjoyable read for me. This wasn’t, however, my favorite of the books I’ve read by David-san. While I certainly did chuckle throughout, it wasn’t the gut-wrenching, public guffaws I experienced when I read my first David Sedaris book, Naked! That book was outrageously hilarious and forced me to become a lifelong fan of the author! I have unquestionably enjoyed each and every piece I have read or heard of his work, but Naked will always hold a special place in my heart and the distinct honor of being my “favorite”.

No comments: