Friday, March 13, 2009

Why I Feel Like I Was Hit By A Greasy Bus!

Lately I have had some weird premonitions that have been coming true. Mostly I will simply have a nightmare or strange dream and then, weeks later, see it on the news (like a plane crash where people were standing in the water on the wings of the plane). This has been happening enough to be eerie, but I have not had the urge to make any official reports, or anything.
Last evening at work, I had an overwhelming feeling that my tire was flat. I park my car a good hour’s train ride from my work, so I don’t usually give it much thought unless I am in it! It certainly did strike me as odd that I would be consumed with the thought of a flat tire.
It was approximately 9:30pm when I arrived at the train station parking lot and, sure enough, my tire was flat! Not just flat, really, but kind of mutilated! Like someone had taken a gouge out of it! I am sure I just hit something on my way to work without realizing it until some vague memory worked it’s way to the surface in the evening.....
I was hoping to use a can of Fix-A-Flat, but the hole in the tire told me otherwise. Make no mistake, I have changed more than a tire or two in my lifetime. I am not afraid of getting my hands dirty, that’s for sure. But I had never changed a tire on my Celica, and it was really a pain in the neck!
Luckily, I was parked in a well-lit, albeit not terribly well-patrolled, parking garage, so I had light and plenty of room to work. The jack for my car leaves something to be desired, though. It took me the better part of 20 minutes to get the car jacked up ... additionally, the nuts and bolts were so strongly connected, it was like separating Siamese twins. I had to jump on the crowbar (whatever it is called, I don’t care, I AM a chick!) several times to get them to turn!
Sidebar: Righty Tighty - Lefty Loosey really will save your life someday!
While I was working on the business at hand, some poor young man approached tentatively. Only because his car was parked near mine. He had fear in his eyes and I could see him scanning the lot for an alternate route to his own vehicle. Our eyes met and he said, “You all set?” Like he was checking to see if I had all my feminine products in order, or something. “Yeah, I’m fine.” I said, letting him off the hook. It was with relief that he scurried into his own car and fled the scene!
Once I was safely alone in the parking garage surrounded by nuts and bolts and various tire-changing tools, I couldn’t get the damn tire off the car! I had to turn my back on little Connie Celica and give the tire several good back kicks until it finally budged.
Ugh.
I was covered in grease and dirt and frustration (and I was just a little freaked out - remember I did predict this!) and all I wanted to do was go to bed!
So, while changing a tire on my Explorer had almost been a pleasure, I am ready to give Miss Celica away to the first person who who happens by ... !
Just letting you know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My God I miss you :)

I am sitting in Old Chicago eating a salad and a Stella, and reading this and laughing out loud.
Again I miss you

Lynn

Anonymous said...

How eerie....and bothersome with the premonitions!!