Monday, September 29, 2008

Farewell, Mister Newman


Like most girls of a certain age, I fell in love with Paul Newman over thirty five years ago when I saw him charming Katharine Ross on a bicycle in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I was only a small child when I saw that movie on television, so I was probably secretly wishing he was my dad, or something (a wish my mother would no doubt support!) and Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head really is a catchy little tune! My own imagination couldn’t invent a more attractive man, and even at that early stage in my life, I was readily drawn to a dry sense of humor.
Of course we came to love him time and again in such greats as The Hustler, Cool Hand Luke, The Sting, The Towering Inferno, even Slapshot! As he grew older and amazingly more handsome, we came to know him for his vast charities and admired his long, loving marriage.
I was always impressed with his class and dignity, never hearing a scandalous word and certainly never seeing an unflattering story in the press.
Paul Newman was a beautiful man and role model and I will, along with all the gals, miss him dearly...

No comments: