Sunday, May 11, 2008

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom



I decided to reread Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom. However, when I started reading it, I realized I had never actually read this book. I honestly thought I did. I know I wanted to. I only vaguely remember seeing the made-for-tv movie.
And this is actually sad because Tuesdays with Morrie is a book you should read with a highlighter handy. It is simply and humbly written about this beautiful, beautiful man by his student and friend. It’s a book you will want to read and reread and wrap up as gifts.
I am late in reviewing this book - most people read it ten years ago.
But ten years ago, I didn’t know my beautiful sister-in-law and funny friend, Linda, would be diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease). I didn’t know that this story would profoundly touch and change my life. I knew absolutely nothing about this progressive, disabling, fatal disease.
Morrie was special. He looked at life as precious and each day a gift. That is difficult to do sometimes. As I mentioned after reading A Lesson Before Dying - how could we possibly know what would go through our minds if we were in the same situation?
We can ask a friend.
We can talk to Linda and the other courageous heroes we have in our lives who wake up every day and face the unknown and put on their bravest expressions, and they smile and laugh and set their fears aside ... and they do it all for us!
We can visit our friends and touch them and hold them and we can tell them what they mean to us and how precious each and every second with them is to us.
Morrie said that a life may end, but the relationship doesn’t. I keep that in my heart.
To Linda - I love you. I tell you that when I see you and I tell you that when we email. And knowing that you know that, and knowing that you love me too, means more than anything else in my life. It always will.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, beautifully written. It made me cry. I, too, have read Tuesday's, but I am going to re-read it. It will have a completely different meaning this time.
Linda, we all love you so much!
Shelly

Becca said...

This is from an email I just received from my friend, Tom. He is my sister-in-law's dad and a dear friend of mine. He writes:

By the way, I just got around to reading your web page. I went from total laughter about your train ride to total tears on your review and comments about Tuesdays With Morrie. I just want to reach out and hug her all the time. Barb and I had the opportunity to see that story live on stage. We laughed and cried through out the story partly because the characters were so genuine and mostly because we had Linda in our thoughts throughout the play. We have had 2 dear friends in the past who have past on due to this horrible disease. They had the attitude and strength that Morrie did. They took time to comfort those who loved them.
Keep on writing. As I said before you truly have a remarkable talent.
By the way, your pictures of the Viet Nam Memorial brought back tearful memories of my friend and thank you again for the wonderful present and just the kindness for the etching.
Love you