Friday, February 29, 2008

I Don't Care What You Say ... Bono is Hot!


Walk away, walk away, walk away to the nearest IMAX and see U2 3D - and I - WILL - - - FOLLOW!!!
Yesterday, I saw U2 3D at the Museum of Natural History's IMAX theatre. It was, without a doubt, the most amazing production I have seen in a long, long time. From moment one, I was taken on an incredible journey with my lifetime heroes. I was literally moved to tears throughout the show and took myself on a little trip down Memory Lane. Since I first saw U2 on the infant MTV singing at Red Rocks Amphitheatre, I have been a die hard fan. (Later I walked into Red Rocks to see The Cure and it was like my own pilgrimage to Mecca.)
U2 influenced many of my fashions and hairdos over the years, particularly the October era! Their images have decorated my walls in every home I have lived in since I was 18 years old.
From dancing to I Will Follow at The Director in Rapid City SD to blasting New Year's Day from Dawg's dormroom windows on a very crisp 1986 New Year's Day in Torrejon Spain... From dancing in the aisles with S'Lisa in the little Cheyenne movie theatre when we begged them to show Rattle and Hum even though we were the only 2 to show up to driving in the rolling hills with Jerry on our way to a wedding listening to Bono singing with Johnny Cash.... U2 has always been playing on the soundtrack of my life.
The Joshua Tree came out when I lived in Spain and we went nuts waiting at the record store to buy our copies. I still have that album on top of my stack of wax in the attic! The U2 poster in my dorm room was eventually replaced with a framed poster of Boy. When I left Cheyenne in 1989, the moving man noticed it and said, "U2, huh? They're gonna be big."
Ya think?
During the film, Larry Mullens strolled down the catwalk to the single drum at the end, and my breath was taken away. Watching U2 on the giant screen was like seeing your husband one day and it just hits you: I have loved you for more than 25 years! I have never stopped. You have influenced every aspect of my life and I honestly adore you.
It sounds strange, I know, but that's how I felt. I was crying, I was smiling, I wanted to get up and dance. I wanted to raise my hands in the air and peel off my sweater and throw it at the 30ft screen. However, when I peeked out the bottom of my 3D glasses that I pretended were Bono's cool specs and noticed that no one else in the theatre was so much as tapping a foot, I decided against the dancing and sweater-peeling.
For whatever it's worth, I was seriously moved by the experience. I love how smitten the almost painfully cool Bono is with the quiet genius, Edge. I love how these four friends have remained relevant for all these years. I love how I feel right now thinking about the film and I highly, highly recommend seeing U2 3D! You will not be disappointed!!!

2 comments:

My Little Room In The Corner said...

That's what it was! That is what made me fall in love with you! Our mutual love for U2! Damn, I knew it had to be something.
Now I wanna go see it. Thanks for the review! Can't stay, gotta go google our Denver IMAX and see if they are showing U2!

Anonymous said...

Scot and I went to see U2 3D also and really enjoyed it. I couldn't shake the feeling that I was sitting and enjoying a movie. I wanted to holler at the people in the the film who WERE dancing, waving arms, and sweater peeling(?) to sit down 'cause I was trying to concentrate on Bono & company and they kept blocking my view!