Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Old is New


I've been thinking about my grandma a lot lately. I suppose because I somehow have found myself "her age". What?! Is that possible? My fondest memories of my grandmother were when my sister would go to school and I would stay home with Grandma while my mother was at work. So I would have been about 2-4 at that time, which would have made my Grandma .... *gasp* ... my age. I am taking back all those thoughts of her being "old", that's for sure!
I have many, many memories of my grandmother. I have precious little tangible evidence of our relationship, however, and that makes me sad.
For Christmas, my sister had some of my grandma's old linens made into a spectacular apron for me! It's funky and fun and absolutely beautiful! Sometimes I feel separated from my very tiny family because as much as I am the same, I am very different. My grandmother, my mother, my sister ... they all embroider - I do not. They all cook and clean and embrace domesticity - I do not.
I do, however, like a good party! I do so adore filling my home with good friends and good cheer. And I do love to look relatively stylish while doing so!
With all of that being said, the apron was the perfect gift for me. The perfect way to encircle myself with all those wonderful memories!!
But the most special part of this amazing gift were the beautiful words and photos shared by the remarkable woman who made them for us. Her passion for what she does (and what she does is amazing) and her understanding of the feelings behind the fabric made me completely cherish that my apron was made with love. The love of my grandmother, the love of my sister, the love of my memories, and the love of a very dear, creative woman.
And I will wear my fabulous apron with pride and whimsy and pleasure ... because that's what my grandmother would have done!

http://theemptynest-janet.blogspot.com/2011/12/tale-of-four-apronspreserving.html

(please take the time to cut and paste this blog address to see exactly how beautiful the apron is!)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not know how to make a Happy Tear Face.... I am so glad you liked your apron! Janet will be too!~Best Sister Ever

Brook Vessell said...

I love your apron! My mom has lots and lots of embroidered linens and things (ha!) from my grandmothers and great grandmothers. The seamstress did a fabulous job! Enjoy having those generations of love wrapped around you!

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Dear Becca,

Girl...you have me in tears. I am so happy that you are able to see the love that was in these beautiful linens. I am on a mission of sorts to rescue these fabulous handmade works of art from attics, basements and assorted thrift shops.

I hope you feel a little of your grandmother's love every time you wear your apron just like I certainly felt it while working with them.

Your friend,
janet xox
http://theemptynest-janet.blogspot.com/

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Beautiful post! I'm visiting from The Empty Nest. An incredible way to makeover heirloom linens.

Lady Courtney said...

What a very special gift! Wrapped up in your grandmother's love and memories! Visiting from Empty Nest, Janet definetly has magic fingers!!! Donna

Dar said...

OK, my mascara is running~~Janet sent me and am I ever glad I came. Janet makes the most beautiful, creative aprons and yours is so very special wrapped with your Grandmothers arms. I can imagine her wiping the flour from her hands after helping you make cookies. What a wonderful tribute to not only your Grandma's love, but also Janet's memory stitches brought back to life, just for you.
BlessYourHearts

Wanda..... said...

Came over from Janet's...I remember her posting photos of your beautiful apron. It's nice to see who received it.

The LadyBugs Garden said...

I love your apron. I am a friend of Janets from The Empty Nest..She makes such beautiful aprons and everyone has a story behind them.They are treasures...
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

You are da bomb standing there in your apron and high heels... You go girl!

Claire said...

Hey Becca a beautiful post and an apron to match.......

Janet, has a wonderful flair for making these stunning aprons. The way she deftly cuts into vintage embroideries would have my heart in a flutter. But she gives them a new life where they can be admired and enjoyed.

It looks wonderful and filled with beautiful memories.

Love the heels, hope you didn't wear them bike riding though, hehe.....


Claire :}

thistlewoodfarm said...

I am visiting from Janet's blog! What a wonderful grandmother you must have had! I love your post!

blessings,
karianne

Mom said...

Janet from The Empty Nest was kind enough to share your blog with us and I AM SO THRILLED that she did. I know you will enjoy every moment when wearing and/or admiring this priceless treasure of an apron. Oh, and you really should consider a modeling career.... so vogue! Hugs and God bless.
Debbie H. in Virginia

kay said...

Visiting from Janet's blog...LOVE the apron!!

Little Blue Mouse said...

I've just popped over from Janet's blog.

The apron looks lovely on, and it's so nice to hold special memories for you.

I can't imagine your Grandmother rocked high heels like you do though!

Tammy at Tammy Loves Dishes said...

Your sister had a wonderful idea and Janet was just the gal to bring it to life. The aprons she created are just stunning. How fabulous to have such a beautiful piece to remind you of both your grandmother's and sister's love.

Leigh said...

Your blog is bumpin'! ha ha

PS. My word is "Hotoris"

Anonymous said...

So much fun to see you wearing your apron. I read the story on The Empty Nest some time ago, but didn't know about the follow-up. Janet is a lovely person, and so talented. So glad you get to enjoy memories of your grandmother while wearing the beautiful art Janet has created for you!