Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Bushel and a Peck

I have always liked the little signs we get. The little reminders that pop up day to day. I like the way we receive warm fuzzies from beyond when we don't really feel that way in the present. I like how life does that for us.
There is a State Farm commercial airing these days called State Farm: Remodel that uses the song "A Bushel and a Peck" from Guys and Dolls. My grandmother and I used to sing that song when I was little. Of course, that was long before we could "Google" anything we wanted or listen to any given song on a whim. We just had to hope we would hear it, which was unlikely since the song was already "old" when we took a shine to it! We liked the song a lot, but we didn't actually know the words. Now that I can Google it, I think it is funny to remember the way we sang it!
Our version was, "I love you a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck. A barrel and a heap and ______________________?"  We didn't know!! What should we do?!?!
Grandma said, "Let's just make something up!"
I thought that was a grand idea! My grandma always had a matter-of-fact way of solving problems while I was always distraught over every little detail. But I loved her approach and readily accepted it!
I thought for a moment then said, "Deedle Eedle Eep!"
"Perfect", she said!
A barrel and a heap and a deedle eedle eep!
God, we rocked!
Today, I saw the commercial and felt strangely happy as I thought of my grandmother. I sang along.
I Googled the words:
     I love you a bushel and a peck
     A bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck
     A hug around the neck and a barrel and a heap
     A barrel and a heap and I'm talkin' in my sleep

     About you, about you
     'Cause I love you a bushel and a peck
     You bet your purdy neck I do
     A doodle oodle ooh
     A doodle oodle oodle ooh doo ...

Well, now that's just funny! My little 3 year old brain came up with Deedle Eedel Eep and a forty year old Frank Loesser penned Doodle Oodle Ooh!!
Not bad! Not bad, at all! I'm actually rather proud of myself!
And I think State Farm really is a good neighbor for helping me start my day with a song in my head and a nice little memory in my heart! I love them more than a deedle eedle eep!

No comments: