Monday, November 9, 2009

I Love YOU, Super Diamond!!

Years and years ago, back when my mother remembered my birthday and how to spell my name correctly (this is a joke, my mother isn't in any state of mental atrophy, she just forgets about me occasionally), we listened to albums on the hi-fi. I loved putting on a crackling record and cranking it up! There were three singer/songwriters who most influenced my life. They were there when I was a child learning how to sing and dance (neither very well, I might add). They were there when I was a teenager learning to deal with difficulties and angst. They were there when I became an adult and writing my own lyrics, poetry and stories.
They were Cat Stevens, John Denver and Neil Diamond.
And I still love them today.
So, when some friends invited me to join them for a Neil Diamond tribute band for our shared birthday, I was intrigued! 9:30 Club in DC is my favorite venue and it was almost surreal to walk into the hazy room and hear my childhood favorite happily bouncing from the huge sound system.
"Super Diamond" is an amazing, fun tribute to an icon, Neil Diamond! Randy Cordero's voice is almost freakishly identical to Neil Diamond's and I almost didn't sing along just so I could hear him better. Honestly, you can't listen to Neil Diamond or Super Diamond without singing along! You just can't!
So I was singing and dancing and laughing and suppressing the urge to throw my big girls up on the stage ... and feeling, well, young again!!

Tell your mamma, girl, I can't stay long
We got things we gotta catch up on
Mmmm, you know ...
You know what I'm sayin'
Can't stand still while the music is playin'


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, my friend, hello
Just called to let you know
I think about you every night
And I know it's late
But I couldn't wait
Hello

How could any not like NeilDiamond,
Jerry