Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

I don’t know much about my family’s history, but I am fairly confident in assuming we never had any “help” around the house. More than likely, we were the help, but that’s pure speculation, as well. So it is not as though I could actually relate to any one of the characters in this book, although I could certainly fall in love with a few of them and loved to hate a few more!
The Help is a delicious story of a tiny, unexpected band of Southern women trying to change the world as they knew it in the early 1960’s. One little slice of chocolate pie at a time. It is not a deep piece of work nor an earth-shattering one. But it is a fun, moving, heartfelt story that tapped into all of my emotions and left me chortling and sobbing simultaneously.
When they make this delightful tale into a movie, and I am sure they will, I will happily attend the first showing bringing my best gal pals with me because there is nothing better than sharing a secret ... a laugh ... and a few tears with a friend!

No comments: